Marilyn Hotchkiss’ Ballroom Dancing and Charm School
Original Release: January 25, 2005 (Sundance)
Directed by: Randall Miller
Written by: Randall Miller, Jody Savin
Produced by: Randall Miller, Eileen Craft, Eduardo Castro, Morris Ruskin, Jody Savin
Running Time: 103 minutes
Box Office: $404,870 (US)
Widower Frank (Robert Carlyle), still overcome with grief at the death of his wife, helps stranger Steve (John Goodman) fulfill his dying wish: to reunite with a former love, Marienne (Mary Steenburgen), now the proprietor of a Pasadena, Calif., dance school. Frank's promise to the man sets into motion his own journey of self-discovery when he attends classes at the school and meets the lovely Meredith (Marisa Tomei), a woman beset by her own troubles.
John Goodman (Steve Mills), Sean Astin (Kip Kipling), Mary Steenburgen (Marienne Hotchkiss), Marisa Tomei (Meredith Morrison), Donnie Wahlberg (Randall Ipswitch), David Paymer (Rafael Horowitz), Camryn Manheim (Lisa Gobar), Adam Arkin (Gabe DiFranco), Sonia Braga (Tina)
- Eagle Rock, California, USA
- Los Angeles, California, USA
- Pasadena, California, USA
- The flashback scenes are taken from the short film Marilyn Hotchkiss' Ballroom Dancing and Charm School (1990).
- Elden Henson played two parts in this film, one being Samson, the other as young Steve Mills. The flashbacks are from a 1990 short film of the same name and Elden played the role of Steve as a 12 year old boy.
- When Frank calls for help at the accident scene, he doesn't dial 911. You can hear two identical tones followed by a different tone as opposed to one tone followed by two identical tones.
Meredith Morrison: You're a good man Frank Keane.
Frank Keane: I did it as much for me as for Randall. One thing bothers me though.
Meredith Morrison: What.
Frank Keane: What color is magenta?
Meredith Morrison: Cause I'm thinking I get 65% off on all excursions to the Iberian penninsula between September fifteenth and November first and I never have anyone to go with.
Frank Keane: I'll go with you.
Casting Society of America Award as Best Independent Feature Film Casting